Alpha is a technology company which provides a platform to affiliated medical practices. We reference those practices and Alpha collectively as “Alpha
” for ease, however all medical care is provided by, depending on your location, Alpha Telemedicine, PC, Alpha Telemedicine of Alaska, PC, Alpha Telemedicine of Kansas, PA, or Alpha Telemedicine of New Jersey, PA (collectively referred to herein as “Medical Practice
”). Our Website enables individuals to connect with physicians and other licensed healthcare providers (“Providers
”) to request consultations (“Consultations
”). The Alpha Platform and services and functionalities provided on the Alpha Platform (collectively, the “Service(s)
When you set up an account with Alpha, you are creating a relationship with Alpha that enables you to access and/or utilize the various functions of the Platform and the Service as a user. As part of that relationship, you provide information to Alpha, including but not limited to, your name, email address, shipping address, phone number and certain transactional information, that we do not consider to be "protected health information" or "medical information".
That said, as described below, in using the Platform to request Consultations, you may also provide certain health or medical information that may be protected under applicable laws. One such law, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, Public Law 104-191, and its related regulations and amendments from time to time (collectively, " HIPAA"), sets out obligations for providers such as the Medical Practice, and in some cases, Alpha may be be a "business associate" of the Medical Practice or a pharmacy. It is important to note that HIPAA does not necessarily apply to an entity or person simply because there is health information involved, and HIPAA may not apply to your transactions or communications with Alpha, the Medical Groups, the Providers, the Labs, or the Pharmacies.
The Medical Practice and Providers have adopted a Notice of Privacy Practices
that describes how they use and disclose Protected Information. By accessing or using any part of the Service, you are acknowledging receipt of the Notice of Privacy Practices from your Medical Practice and Provider(s).
For purposes of clarity, information you provide to Alpha in order to register and set up an account on the Platform, including name, username, email address, shipping address and phone number, are not considered Protected Information.
Information we collect
“Personal Data” means data that allows someone to identify or contact you, including, for example, your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, as well as any other non-public information about you that is associated with or linked to any of the foregoing data. “Anonymous Data” means data that is not associated with or linked to your Personal Data; Anonymous Data does not, by itself, permit the identification of individual persons. We collect Personal Data and Anonymous Data, as described below.
Limitations on Use by Minors
Our Service is generally intended for use by individuals who are at least eighteen (18) years of age or such older age as may be required by applicable state laws in the jurisdiction in which an individual utilizes the Service. Individuals who are between the ages of thirteen (13) and eighteen (18) (or such older age of majority) may use the Service for the purpose of obtaining a medical consultation if a parent or legal guardian provides consent to such use in accordance with applicable law, or if the law expressly allows the minor to consent to treatment. The Service is not designed or intended to attract, and is not directed to, children under thirteen (13) years of age. If we obtain actual knowledge that we have collected personal information through the Platform from a person under thirteen (13) years of age without parental consent, we will use reasonable efforts to refrain from further using such personal information or maintaining it in retrievable form.
Furthermore, if you are under sixteen (16) years of age, then you (or your parent or legal guardian if you are under age 13) may at any time request that we remove content or information about you that is posted on the Platform. Please submit any such request ("Request for Removal of Minor Information") to either of the following:
- By mail: Alpha, Attn: Removal of Minor Information, 555 Bryant Street, Suite 814, Palo Alto, CA 94301-1704. If you send by mail, please send by U.S. Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested to allow for confirmation of mailing, delivery and tracking.
- By email: email@example.com, with a subject line of "Removal of Minor Information"
For each Request, please clearly state the following in the body of the request:
- The nature of your request
- The identity of the content or information to be removed
- The location of the content or information on the Platform (e.g. by providing the URL)
- That the request is related to the "Removal of Minor Information"
- Your name, street address, city, state, zip code and email address, and whether you prefer to receive a response to your request by mail or email.
We will not accept any Request for Removal of Minor Information via telephone or facsimile. Alpha is not responsible for failing to comply with any Request for Removal of Minor Information that is incomplete, incorrectly labeled or incorrectly sent.
The foregoing is a description of Alpha's voluntary practices concerning the collection of personal information through the Service from certain minors, and is not an admission that Alpha is subject to the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, the Federal Trade Commission's Children's Online Privacy Protection Rule(s), or any similar international, federal, state, or local laws, rules, or regulations.
How we use your information
General Use. In general, information you submit to us is used either to respond to requests that you make, or to aid us in serving you better. We use your Personal Data in the following ways:
- facilitate the creation of and secure your Account on the Alpha Platform;
- identify you as a user on the Alpha Platform;
- provide improved administration of the Alpha Platform;
- provide the Consultation you request or provide;
- ensure appropriate payment for our Services;
- provide your information to your Provider who may communicate it to third parties such as the Pharmacy you choose to fill a prescription, or to a medical device manufacturer, such as to a Continuous Glucose Monitoring platform, as applicable;
- improve the quality of experience when you interact with the Alpha Platform;
- send you a welcome email to verify ownership of the e-mail address provided when your Account was created;
- send you administrative e-mail notifications and in-app notifications,, such as security or support and maintenance advisories;
- If you have checked the box to receive SMS notifications, we will send you an SMS/text message to let you know that a secure message is pending in your Account on the Platform; and
- send newsletters, surveys, offers, and other promotional materials related to the Alpha Platform and for other marketing purposes of Alpha or the Providers.
- user Testimonials and Feedback. We often receive testimonials and comments from users who have had positive experiences with our Alpha Platform. We occasionally publish such content. When we publish this content, we would only post your first and last name, home city, and testimonial with your prior consent. If you affirmatively post a review on TrustPilot, TrustPilot allows us to feature your review on our Website at www.helloalpha.com — in such instances, the posting is covered by TrustPilot’s terms to which you agreed in completing your post. We may also post feedback on the Alpha Platform from time to time. We will share your feedback with your first name and last initial only. If we choose to post your first and last name along with your feedback, we would obtain your consent prior to posting your name with your feedback. If you make any comments on a blog or forum associated with your Alpha Platform, you should be aware that any Personal Data you submit there can be read, collected, or used by other users of these forums, and could be used to send you unsolicited messages. We are not responsible for the personally identifiable information you choose to submit in these blogs and forums.
Creation of Anonymous Data. We may create Anonymous Data records from Personal Data by excluding information (such as your name) that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We use this Anonymous Data to analyze request and usage patterns so that we may enhance the content of our Alpha Platform and improve Alpha Platform navigation. We reserve the right to use Anonymous Data for any purpose and disclose Anonymous Data to third parties in our sole discretion.
How we share your information
First and foremost, please know that we do not sell your personal information.
If you engage in a Consultation using the Alpha Platform, Alpha will share your relevant Personal Data with the Provider to facilitate the direct communication between you and the Provider. By using the Alpha Platform, you consent to disclosure of your Personal Data to the Provider and to communication by the Provider to third parties such as Pharmacies and/or other healthcare providers treating you.
- Third Parties Designated by You. When you use the Alpha Platform, the Personal Data you provide will be shared with the third parties that you designate to receive such information, including other websites, your friends, relatives and business associates.
- Authorization to disclose PHI. By clicking the box on our contact information screen next to “Text me shipping updates and other notifications related to my medical care,” you are expressly consenting to receive SMS message and authorizing the release of your email address and/or mobile device number (which are considered to be Protected Health Information or “PHI”) by Alpha to Alpha partners who send text messages and emails on Alpha’s behalf. For example, Alpha might use a third party to send email notices that your medications have been shipped, or you might receive an email or text asking you to rate my experience with Alpha. You understand that Alpha will not disclose your PHI for any other reasons, and will not sell your PHI. You understand that you do not have to check this box to use Alpha or receive care from Alpha healthcare providers. You understand that this authorization will not expire unless you revoke it by updating your profile settings or emailing Alpha at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can revoke this authorization at any time, but if Alpha has already relied on your authorization, any action already taken cannot be undone.
- Employer Reporting. If you receive access to the Alpha Platform via your employer, we may report certain information back to your Employer or Health Plan regarding your usage of the Service to facilitate payment or to establish cost savings based on your usage of the Alpha Platform.
How Providers use your information
The Medical Practice and Providers have adopted a Notice of Privacy Practices that describes how they use and disclose Protected Information. By accessing or using any part of the Service, you are acknowledging receipt of the Notice of Privacy Practices from your Medical Practice and Provider(s).
Credit Card Information
Alpha does not store your credit card information. When you conduct a transaction on our Platform such as the purchase of a Consultation, you will be asked to supply your credit card number and expiration date, your billing address, your shipping address, your phone number and/or your email address. By submitting this information, you grant Alpha without charge the irrevocable and perpetual right to provide such information to third parties (e.g., payment processors) for the purpose of facilitating the transaction.
Protected Health Information
Additional terms regarding our use and disclosure of individual user protected health information is contained in the Consent to Telehealth.
Security; Confidentiality of Information
We will take reasonable steps to protect your Personal Data from unauthorized access, disclosure or alteration. However, please be aware that no data transmission over the Internet or data storage facility can be guaranteed to be perfectly secure. As a result, while we try to protect your Personal Data, we cannot ensure or guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. You must promptly notify us if your contact data is lost, stolen, used without permission or otherwise compromised. In such an event, we will remove that contact data from your Account and update our records.
Email and text messages that Alpha may send you may include Personal Data and such messages are not encrypted. This means that when the messages are sent over a network, someone without your permission may be able to read them. While such interception of messages is illegal, it is possible. Alpha will use commercially reasonable efforts to prevent this from happening. In addition, once a text or email message has been sent to your mobile device or computer, it is your responsibility to keep the personal identifying information contained in such a message safe and secure. By using the Alpha Platform, you agree that you understand and accept the risks detailed herein.
Any information that you may reveal in an account page, profile or other posting or other online forum is open to the public and is not in any way private. You should think carefully before disclosing any Personal Data in any public forum. What you have written may be seen and/or collected by third parties and may be used by others in ways we are unable to control or predict.
Controlling Your Personal Data.
You have several choices regarding the use of your information on our Alpha Platform.
- Cookies. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to accept Cookies from our Alpha Platform for any of the purposes described above, then you can instruct your browser, by changing its settings, to stop accepting Cookies or to prompt you before accepting a Cookie from the websites you visit. Consult your browser’s technical information. If you do not accept Cookies, however, you may not be able to use all portions of the Alpha Platform or all functionality of the Alpha Platform. If you have any questions about how to disable or modify Cookies, please let us know at the contact information provided below.
- Applications. You can stop all collection of information by the Application by uninstalling the Application. You may use the standard uninstall processes as may be available as part of your mobile device or via the mobile application marketplace or network.
Links to Other Websites
The Alpha Platform may contain links to unaffiliated third party websites or mobile websites. Except as set forth herein, we do not share your Personal Data with them. In all cases, Alpha has no control over and is not responsible for their privacy practices. We suggest that you read the privacy policies on all such third party websites. Additionally, we cannot guarantee the quality or accuracy of information presented on non-Alpha websites.
How to Contact Us
555 Bryant Street, #814
Palo Alto, CA 94301-1704
Attn: Privacy Officer
Last update 04/11/2023
Previous version available here.